Brooks' Story

On December 28, 2009, Brooks Call was diagnosed with acute Myeloid leukemia (AML), also known as acute myelogenous leukemia. AML is a very aggressive cancer that starts in the bone marrow and keeps the blood cells from maturing the way they should. Brooks is 13 years old and is the son of Greg and Lisa Call. He has two younger brothers, Ethan and Nic.

Along with our prayers, well wishes, and positive thoughts for Brooks, what can we do to help Brooks and his family? Our goal is to allow all family and friends to assist Greg and Lisa with any funding we can donate for the many expenses that will be involved in keeping Brooks going strong. Not only would we like to contribute to help with the mounting medical bills, but also for gas, babysitting, food while staying with Brooks at the hospital, and many other expenses.

Please look at the "Please Help Brooks" section on how-to-donate. We have made it very easy for all family and friends to help out – where ever you are! Please donate, and pass along this notice to all of your family and friends. Have them go to this blog to find out more information on how to donate and get updates on Brooks!

http://brookscall.blogspot.com/
Thanks, from all Brooks’ Family!

If you want to add a comment and don't have a Google account see the "How to add a comment" below.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Happy Dance

From Lisa (Brooks Mom) - January 10, 2010


I left the hospital Friday night and Greg took over. It is hard to leave worrying about what might happen while I'm away. Greg is such an amazing father and a lot of fun. I know that they will have a party while I'm away if they can. Brooks has had some good days this week. To my surprise, he didn't get nauseous from the chemo at all. He has had a few severe headaches though. We have found out that when his platelets get low he gets nose bleeds and bleeding in the back of his throat. For some reason it has been worse at night and it keeps him awake trying to get the blood out instead of swallowing it. When he finally has a minute for sleep, the nurses are back in the room doing something else to take care of him. He is so tired but he hasn't complained once. So many people have asked me how Brooks is doing, you know, how he is handling all of this mentally. He is doing better than I would have ever thought. I am so amazed by how he has responded to everything. So, yes, he has always been laid back and easy going, and this hasn't changed that about him. He has such a big heart. He is looking after me too (shouldn't it be the other way around??) He told me the other night that I should leave for a little while and take some time for myself. He said, "Mom, you deserve it, you've been doing so much for me." What?! It caught me by surprise. It shouldn't, because this is Brooks, but it does because I don't know how he can be so strong. Last night I got a text from him. It was Homer Simpson dancing to some music. It said, "I got this text when I first got sick and it made me smile, I hope it makes you smile now too." I don't know if he sent this to just me or his friends too. He is amazing for thinking about how he can cheer other people up and make them happy at this time in his life. He is teaching me so much.

Yesterday was Brooks last day of chemotherapy for this round. Wheew... One down. Last night they disconnected him from all of the IV lines they had going in him and now he won't be attached to that pole for the next few weeks. He was really excited and had some energy when I talked to him last night. We all did the happy dance for him and had a good laugh. I love times like this.

5 comments:

  1. Hey guys! You are in our thoughts and our prayers. The boys (Drew specifically) says, "Hi! Brooks is cool. I like to play with him. I'm sad he's sick."

    We will be over to help you move this weekend- be sure to let us know what you need us to do to help make the move easier.

    We will keep checking the blog, so be sure to keep us updated. Our blog is: kurtnshel.blogspot.com If you get bored you can check up on us! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooks! Right now I just have thoughts of him running through my mind of him beating the crap out of me playing Wii Boxing a couple of Christmas' ago! What an amazing young man. Haley and I are thinking and praying for you. When this is all over, you had better come and see us in Hawaii. We will take you to some amazing places and see some wonderful things. We love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does Brooks like to read? If he does, I think we should start a book club....because I am a nerd and I love Harry Potter and I am interested in Percy Jackson and the Olympians series too! Or if he is into games, we have loads of games. It is so weird seeing Brooks's picture of him at 13 because I still remember him at 5. LOL. I miss you guys. You are all in my prayers. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love you brooks!!!! You are in our prayers! keep strong! your a great kid and you can get through this! love you bud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cant wait to see you again brooks let me know when your out of the hospital

    ReplyDelete